"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Natchez Trace

Birdsong Hollow
I am in Tennessee:)
One day last week Nick and I went on a drive on the Natchez Trace which goes from Nachez, MS to Nashville, TN.  More info from the web site:  The Natchez Trace Parkway is a 444-mile drive through exceptional scenery and 10,000 years of North American history. Used by American Indians, "Kaintucks", settlers, and future presidents, the Old Trace played an important role in American history.

  It is a short drive from my house to the Trace.  Our first stop was at a bridge with the idea of walking across.  Unfortunately, the height got to me and I wimped out.  Sorry I didn't get a good picture so you could see how HIGH it is.

EDITED 11/7/10  This is a picture of the bridge:)  You can't tell but the railing doesn't come too far past my knees - or it felt that way!!  I definitely got the "fear factor" and  the feeling I didn't need to be up that high!!!  Thanks to Randy Fought for sharing the picture.  His website is:  Natchez Trace Travel and you might even see one of my pictures there!

The colors were just beautiful!!  I am continuing to enjoy this time of year and am still amazed at the beauty.    Most of the time I don't know which direction to look first.  We stopped at one area and went for a short hike that led up to the original trail and walked along it for a bit before we headed back to Franklin.

Gorgeous red!!
The Trace is commercial free so you must go into the towns along the way for gas, restaurants, etc.  Some of the towns are quite picturesque so that is something on my list for the future.  This would also be a great fall ride for you Harley riders:)  I'm not so sure about bicycles!!  We saw quite a few people riding but I don't think I could make it up the hills.

You can click on any of the pictures to enlarge them.


Nick holding a huge leaf he picked up!


Part of the orignal Trace.

5 comments:

Rhoto said...

Oh Peggy! "New activities and continuing adventures" are turning out gorgeous and fun for you!! ;)
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal

becki-c said...

So beautiful! FAbulous scenery and the perfect time of year for the drive.
Lordy thats a big leaf, do you know what kind of tree?

Robyn said...

Nice to know that the trace is commercial-free! You can take another crack at that nasty old bridge another time....or not....

Randy Fought said...

Love your fall pictures of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Would love to post a few of them on my Fall Season photo gallery of the Trace, located at Natchez TraceTravel.com. Would that be okay?

Barbara said...

Well it looks like I'll have to make more than one trip to Nashville. Once next summer and then again in the fall. The trees are gorgeous. I wish we had a fall season here!