This redo was pretty easy to do and involved very little sewing or cutting/damaging the linens. I have the quilt I made earlier this year on the bed now as it is very summery looking but will change the quilts with the seasons. I also have another white tablecloth that looks really pretty as a coverlet - but is not a good choice with my black/white cat.
To make the pillow shams, I bought double faced satin ribbon for the side ties. I could only find bright white or ecru. Neither was quite right so I tea dyed the white briefly so it would blend in with the white of the towels. (to do that soak the ribbon in brewed tea until it is a little darker than you want. Rinse and dry). I made the pillow forms out of an old pillow case. The idea at first was to just tie the towels around the pillows. That didn't work as I thought so I blind stitched the botttoms together. Cost: ribbon and a bag of poly filler.
The bolster was made with a purchased form ($10 at Bed, Bath & Beyond) and another old tablecloth. I folded the tablecloth over envelope style; stitched the ends; done!!
|Close up of headboard. Someone made this using an old shutter|
and adding the shelf and rail. I could have hung it either way but
wanted to use the shelf for display. Free!!