"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Labor Day Weekend in NYC

For the past couple of months, I have been trying to schedule a weekend with Doug and Leigh Anne.  Between their schedule and mine, it wasn't happening.  Doug found me a great rate for a last minute ticket to NYC for Labor Day Weekend - $226 round trip!!!!  Yeah!

Doug and I on the Brooklyn Bridge
Doug and Leigh Anne with our tickets.
When I arrived at Newark, Doug and Leigh Anne picked me up in their new car:)  I am so impressed with my son being able to drive in the big city.  Definitely nothing I am brave enough to tackle.  Saturday morning we headed out for brunch at Nice-Matin.  It was a beautiful day and we ate outside.  Next up was a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge - another bridge to add to my list.  Lots of other people had the same idea and the bridge was crowded.  It was lots of fun!  Brooklyn was a really neat place and we walked around a bit and then took the ferry back across. We went to the Half-Price Ticket booth to see if there were tickets to any plays we wanted to see.  We scored tickets to see the Sunday matinee of "Million Dollar Quartet".

Sunday morning we had another great brunch at Doug's favorite brunch spot.  Sangria was involved:)  Of course, I can't remember the name of the restaurant!  Then we headed over to see "Million Dollar Quartet".  It was great fun and we all enjoyed it.  That evening we went to Cafe Lalo for dinner and dessert.  Cafe Lalo has been in several movies, commercials, etc.  "You've Got Mail" is the one we all remember.  Amazing number of desserts.  Leigh Anne had cheesecake and I had red velvet cake.  Yummy!!!

Doug at work.
Monday we had a little bit quieter day.  We went walking in Central Park, did some shopping, and went to see "The Help".  Doug got a phone call and needed to go to the office for a few minutes so I got to see where he works.

Sunday Farmers' Market
Tuesday morning it was back to work for Doug and Leigh Anne.  I rode on the subway with Leigh Anne and she gave me directions to get to Mood (fabric store famous from Project Runway).  My first purchase was an umbrella-it was pouring.  Mood is so big with so much fabric it is overwhelming!!!  Second time I have been there with no purchases.  After that, I headed to Penn Station for the train back to the airport.  There were a few rain delays but I got home Tuesday evening - a few hours later than planned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peggy, I've been so incredibly OUT OF THE LOOP on your blog, I'm almost too embarassed to comment -- ha! BUT, I just wanted to say you're look FANTASTIC, and SO IS BARB!!! I'm so happy to see that you've had a wonderful, sightseeing visit. I've been busy LOOKING AT ALL YOUR PICTURES, and next I'm going to actually READ the content. (Isn't that what they say about Playboy, or maybe it's just the opposite.) Anyway, I'm so happy you're soon to be a GRANDMOTHER, and things are on the up-and-up, as MY grandmother used to say. :o) Love, Annette