"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Friday, June 7, 2013

A Visit to Monticello

Monticello
Another one of the attractions I wanted to see while I was in the area was Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello, which is in Charlottesville, VA.  I went on a beautiful spring day in mid-April and the trees and flowers were in bloom.  My cousins warned me to get there early or there would be a line so I followed their advice.  I went on a tour of the gardens and the house and also went to the film in the museum.  No pictures are allowed in the house.  It was interesting to see the design of the house and how innovative Thomas Jefferson was in that time period.  So many of the daily "workings" were hidden in the wings on the side.  I always love to see how people lived on a day to day basis.  They had to provide for a lot of people that lived on the property as well as many guests.   Monticello had huge gardens to feed everyone and all kinds of little workshops, etc. to take care of their needs.

I wasn't too far from the hospital so I stopped in for a quick visit with my aunt and cousins before heading back to Staunton.

When the light is right, you can see
the house reflected in the pool.

This is referred to as the "nickel" view - its the image on
the back of the U.S. nickel 


Loved the blooming trees!

Ditto for the tulips and other flowers.  Some are descendants
from when Thomas Jefferson lived here.  He kept
detailed records.



No comments: